Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Poltergeist

Two nights ago, I came home at ten, lugging groceries. As I staggered into the kitchen, the oddest noise got my attention, and I couldn't find it at first. Then I realized, the old fridge magnet that is a minature slot machine was making a tinny, creepy, running-down battery noise. Its bandit arm was pulled forward just a little, and it was sort of whining.
I touched the handle, and it clicked off. Then I went cold all over; that crappy thing doesn't have a decent magnet on the back, and falls off when tapped. So the cats couldn't have set it off. One of them was in the house, and not acting weird, so I looked around, and the back door was unlocked. I have gotten in the habit, since the dog died, of closing it by the deadbolt and locking it in one motion. The cat started acting strange, sniffing under all the furniture. Yikes yikes yikes.
I got the creeps, bad, and called my fella and whimpered, and he came over and shone his flashlight all around, including the attic, and flushed out no evildoers. I still had trouble going to sleep.
Last night I got home and there was a light on I didn't remember turning on that morning. Sure enough, I got too creepy to go in and had to go back and get him, and his flashlight, again.
This morning I was all, "I am TURNING THESE TWO LIGHTS ON AND REMEMBERING IT" out loud like a crazy lady.
Fella surmised one of them would burn out before I got home and he'd get summoned again. Ha, third time was the charm. No cats inside but nothing that creeped me out, either.

3 comments:

  1. Hope it wasn't my carjacking comment that made you paranoid. Glad the fella is obliging to flush out the boogerbears. Hope you don't start setting boogerbear traps in the house - you'll fall over them and break a leg.

    You should probably try to get home before dark so you won't get spooked.

    Change of Subject
    I walked down the street in the dark (in my bathrobe and slippers) at 6:15 am the other morning because I could hear water running, couldn't find it till I got to Miss Billie's driveway. Her daughter had a fountain of water splashing straight up in the air, about 8 to 10 feet in the yard. It was probably from the sprinker system. Both houses were dark, so I didn't want to knock on the door and wake them up. As I turned around and walked away, the water stopped. I walked home with my phalanx of cats; Peanut, Jake and Andy had followed me, and slightly feral orange stray cat had come close, hoping I had Science diet. As a matter of fact, I was still holding the cup of cat food, so I gave him a snack at the end of my neighbor's driveway.

    I can't do anything in the carport or front yard without drawing an audience of cats. Sometimes there are as many as 6, and there are almost always 3 because Andy (white cat with black ears and tail) spends most of his time in my carport now even though his real home is across the street and down one house. I'm starting to worry - is this a sign that I'm destined to be the crazy cat lady of the street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get another dog before I start setting boogerbear traps. And yeah, 3-6 cats starts getting into ccl territory. Especially feeding them in your robe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, thanks. I guess that's what comes of talking to cats. As soon as I tell Jake and Peanut "Good Morning", Blue is liable to pop over from next door, Andy shows up, Milky Way comes over, tries to pretend he's my cat, and now orange stray from the end of the street.

    ReplyDelete