Saturday, July 9, 2011

Groundhog Month

My efforts at health-building activity backfired pretty spectacularly, and I've been just hamster-on-a-wheel for a whole month. The soul-killing job had a bright spot with the sudden and dramatic reassignment of the Worthless one, and I went two days pretty happy with my new upgraded assignment. Then a shitload of people quit from burnout, and I am now back to doing two jobs. The HBIC canceled all vacations right when I had been planning to have enough scraped together to go and see the daughter before the snow set in, and that is pretty depressing. And my foot, leg, and shoulder pain have been downright excessive. So no news there.
Last night was fun, though: a service company bent (BROKE) the rules about this sort of thing and took a bunch of us out to a paint-and-drink party store. So there was music, Purple Haze Abita Beer (raspberry beer, you should have some at all times), and lots and lots of cackling amidst the hack painting of a fleur-de-lis. If I could get my phone camera to work I would put the picture up, it turned out okay.
The tunes that the store blasted in-between brushing tips were oddly eclectic, and included that MTV classic, "Mickey" that the not-cute girl did the cheer routine to. The youngsters next to me started singing along with it and I put my brush down and did the cheer arms and head. They roared with approval and somehow that got to my age; they were all ten or fifteen years my junior and disputed that fact. "I thought you were our age!" Ummm, gray hair, girls. And a vicious middle-aged spread. Not to speak of the creaky motion when I get up to refresh my beer, steadying myself and moving like a tree sloth.
I was thinking about that today while doing the haying out back (tractor broke two weeks ago and fella finished fixing it while I was at Cackle and Dab). I used to hate the lines between Voldemom's eyes and when I caught myself doing that in my twenties, I just made myself stop frowning. I have one line over an eyebrow from keeping it lifted all the time, and some jowliness. My cheeks got so puffy with the steroids back when that they don't have lines now, and my eyes are too big to sag.  Now inside, I'm like the Picture of Dorian Gray, and the outside is still decent-ish to others.
Maybe I should scowl or wince when it hurts? Does putting it out there keep from storing it up?
The idea holds little charm, actually. I think I will put my energy into tracking down a source for a Japanese neuropathy drug called Neurotropin, it sounds excellent.

4 comments:

  1. Grr. I found links to some clinical trials of the neurotropin, http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00366535

    I feel like a hamster on a wheel too. But!!! I am leaving for San Diego at the buttcrack of dawn tomorrow, to hobnob with fellow Geeks of Utter Geekness. The high temps will be in the low 70s, with lows in the 60s, humidity 30% or so once the fog burns off in the mornings.

    I don't know if you've received my ESP vibes, or if you just mistook them for a pain in your neck.

    Canceled all vacations? How can they do that? Is it from budget cuts? Aargh.

    Keep saving for vacation, maybe the snow will hold off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so dumb, just looked up HBIC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Diego sounds awesome, much too good weather to waste geeking out in a hotel ballroom, hit a Trader Joe's and the beach. Have fun!
    They are canceling vacations because they suck. They give another reason but it's bogus, it's just because they suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I do love it when the young people assume I'm their age. they can stay.

    ReplyDelete