Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pictures and pills

I got my busted foot up to the doc today and she sent me off to have its picture took. Finally figured out a way around the $125 xray copay; she is a master of coding. Did you know that your xray is covered on your insurance if the doc codes "foot hurts in a few places" but you have to pay a big copay if the doc codes "dumbass fell down"?
Rachel Maddow said the other night that health insurance companies were evil whether you are covered or not and I think this is an example of that.
I made the appointment to tell her, I give up, I want morphine, I can't stand living at pain level 7 anymore.
But this weekend I stumbled on a small study about an antibiotic that is not absorbed, it just works in the gut against traveler's diarrhea and was useful to some people who had severe diarrhea-type IBS with restless leg syndrome and fibromyalgia. I don't let the docs quantify my severe, painful leg spasms as RLS or my generalized, pressure-point pain as fibromyalgia because I don't want them to think I am a nut, but the criteria do fit. I showed the study to my doc and she was elated; she remembers me coming to her after a bout of what seemed to be tourista after a meal at a festival, with diarrhea that wouldn't give up, and horrendous atypical colitis that had resulted. She had recently mentioned my case to a collegue and he had asked if I'd had too many antibiotics and perhaps had bowel overgrowth as a result. She happily wrote the antibiotic scrip, I went and got the zinc and probiotic that is part of the regimen, and I will start taking the antibiotic today. I really hope this is the magic bullet. Then the other supplements my sis sent me for my depleted adrenal function would have  a chance of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment