Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yum, Zoom, Splash

I got two big evenings out on the jetski this weekend and had a big old time. Sunday some of our vegetarian friends came and brought their cousin, and we had grilled leeks with romesco sauce, grilled eggplant stuffed with seasoned ricotta and covered with marinara and parmesan, crostini with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, a pasta and white bean salad with pesto, and tiramisu. They brought the tiramisu from Target and it was yum, I made the rest. Yesterday we went by ourselves and had some ribs and homemade potato salad. The jetskiing was mixed both days; the friends were enthusiastic but timid, so we did quite a bit of shepherding them around while they drove verrry slowly, encouraging them to go faster so it would plane a little and not be such a rough ride. But they seemed to like their first ever jetski driving. Yesterday started a little alarmingly; a squall came up and I thought it would follow a previous cloud so I went across the lake. It followed me and basically washed my hair and kicked my butt; I've never had waves go over the whole craft before, and that part was not fun.  By the time I fought back across the lake, it had died down and I spun around a little so I would have some fun before I got off, I didn't want the horse to throw me. It smoothed out, both of us got on to scoot around, and he spotted a big green lawn chair the squall had blown into the water. He didn't want anybody to get hurt hitting it, so he tried to scoop it up; when he fell off in the effort, he dragged me off and my left leg got involved with the steering column. It's some interesting colors today, and the foot is making distinct "I am broken" grumbles. I think it's just ligaments and hyperextension, it was not very painful when I went to the pool today. We now have one good foot between the two of us, his right one. But the rest of the scooting was awesome, super smooth and fast, under a Maxfield Parrish blue and gold sunset. And we did get the damn lawn chair up on a pier.  Tonight I am making some crawfish etouffee as soon as this thunderstorm lets up so I can drive over there.  The writing is on the wall for his job, maybe this week, maybe next, but soon; meanwhile, we will eat well and party small.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing it wasn't me to try to climb back on a jetski from the water. I'd just have to swim back to shore in my ungainly life jacket. Good thing it wasn't your right leg, sorry you are cripped up on both legs now. I have been bike riding - we traded in our many unused bikes for a mid 70's vintage Schwinn 3-speed. It is a little too tall but I'm learning to ride it. Can't go more than 15 minutes because I'm not used to sitting on a bicycle seat. Ow. But I can make it all around my neighborhood in the 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing about being hyperflexible; I had a good right knee I could just tuck under my armpit on the platform. But I was hurting a lot from the bad bruise on the left so I made him give me a boost so I didn't have to take weight on it. The left foot finally got a swollen place today so I taped it. I went ahead and taped the bruise too, so they at least look awesome. Kind of a Maori tattoo vibe. I've been looking at my bikes wistfully; with my screwed-up pelvic musculature it would probably be crazy to get on one but when the weather gets cooler I will want to. If my foot isn't broken, that is. It kind of sucks, I had just gotten a decent gait for like a week, now I am limping from the other side.

    ReplyDelete