Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Well-trained Cat Owner

My half-wild ginger man purred at a lady three streets over and she read his collar and called me. My fella went over and fetched him home, screaming dismally in the truck. He promptly ate half a pound of kibble, purred around charmingly, and took the plumbing panel off the closet in the night and went back outside. Heated the subdivision on my dime. He opened the panel to come both in and out several times over the next few days; a cute trick but costly on the heating bill. I got my fella to put a catflap in the panel and nail the panel itself more securely. Ginger man and his pudgy calico sister wasted no time poking their heads through it. He's gone out through it twice in two days, but he's still coming in through the people door. I thought little dim chubby calico sister was too timid to go out through it, but I came home just now and she was waiting in the driveway after I had left her in the house. I was proud of her initiative initially, but then I opened the door and decided that the evident reason she felt compelled to leave was the stench of the heinous shit she had taken in the catpot before going OUTSIDE where other cats are smart enough to go to take a dump. So now I have cat egress which is not being used until after the home is befouled. Not hard to see who the dim one is here.

3 comments:

  1. At least it was in the catpot, not on the stove this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jakester has a new trick of running inside when the door is opened without anyone seeing him. He explores the back of the house, then acts all surprised when we are surprised to see him nonchalantly getting a drink of water at the indoor water bowl. We don't like to let the carport cats in because it makes Jasper want to mark in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've never really figured out what made her want to shit on my stove. That whole winter is pretty foggy in my head, but that was one of the low points if you leave out my illness and getting canned.

    ReplyDelete