Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fishing Expeditions

I've been out of work for almost two months now. At first I was concentrating on getting my course requirements done, but now I am applying for at least one job every day. It's grueling, somehow; I hate paperwork and forms beyond reason and have to deal with several every day. I have had two nibbles from travel companies and no local nibbles yet.  One of the travel companies had me waste about five hours doing various computer tests and forms; I sure felt cheated when that job didn't materialize.  I've told myself I will break down and take a job I don't want but can barely do, like in home health, in the next two weeks if nothing better comes along. My school didn't process my grad paperwork in a timely fashion and I missed my cert exam deadline by a week, so now I have to wait until October to take the tests. I just have to decide if I want to keep trying to get a job in my new field, until my money runs completely out, or get something to stop the worrying and try to study anyway. No four-leaf clovers have turned up in the backyard so far.

3 comments:

  1. I'm banging my head against a wall for you. No chance the school has any intention of paying out your lost earnings then? Who does these jobs and thinks that sort of thing is ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signs of the times - I worked a part time gig for a year and a half while applying for jobs in my field and going to school to start a new career. Part time gig paid $10 an hour. My teenage kid is now earning between $9 and $12 an hour lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons. Have to do whatever to keep money coming in while working towards what you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @American...they had granted me a free extension, usually costing $500.00, because I had been too sick to finish my clinicals. Who knows why they had to hold my final paperwork ten days before signing off on it. It was an online course and they were super hard to reach in their office.
    I don't know how I'll do home health, people smoke in their houses and have dogs I'm allergic to, and my car is ancient. But I've put in apps on every possible thing I'd be good at that's not ICU work, and I know perfectly well my memory problems and foot pain would screw that up for me.

    ReplyDelete