Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dinner is served


My fella has been wistfully requesting chocolate pudding pie since I've known him. I tried the Jello pudding he remembered from his childhood and it was a dismal failure, several times. Southern Living was a gift from my child last Christmas and I've actually been feeling too poorly to make many of its recipes so far; but this month's issue had this beauty and I've never had a SL recipe fail. Kroger failed me in the search for the chocolate wafers to make a homemade crust, but one Keebler chocolate crust and the rest of the recipe later and, voila. Homemade Chocolate pudding pie that is firm and gorgeous. It's made with eight ounces of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao and sixteen ounces of whipping cream; hard to go wrong with that. It called for rum but not having any I used Jack Daniels and it was stellar. Oh, there was taco soup, too, but after he yummed down two bowls of that the fella yummed down two pieces of this and bemoaned keeping it in his fridge, as he feels it is not safe around him. I'm just relieved to have found a nice, simple, perfect recipe for this favorite thing of his.

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! I made a sugar-free (splenda) version of the peach cobbler that was on the cover of one of the summer issues. I went lite on the splenda, the potluck group thought it was great. Rolling toasted pecans between the lattice crust layers turned out better than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make it with sugar so I can eat it and fix me one, talk is cheap. And splenda causes explosions. Hey, our pecans bore last fall so we will not have a crop this year, if you see a deal on some fat ones I need two to five pounds for the winter please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pls tell me the chocolate pie recipe - I don't have a subscription. Saw the peach cobbler issue at the hairdresser's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try to scan it and send it to you, the pudding part is a little fiddly.

    ReplyDelete