Friday, August 13, 2010

Knowing, Not Knowing, and Friday the 13th

So, here is something else I don't usually tell people. I know stuff other people don't know by ways they don't know it, and I'm not sure how I get the information. It's not much of a blessing, the information is often negative.
I have had many, many boyfriends who were convinced I was psychic. Actually, all of them that were paying any attention at all.  I really could just sit next to them and "hear" their thoughts in my heads and would often respond to what they were mulling over. When I was young and had no filter at all it caused a shitload of discord, to put it mildly. I really never understood why it freaked them out so badly. One of the nicest things about my Asperger's boyfriend is that he does not care when I respond to what he is thinking. Apparently it fits the worldview of a mild aut to have one's girlfriend hear one's thoughts.
Women are generally somewhat better at hiding their thoughts but many are startlingly loud thinkers as well and probably the reason I don't have many women friends.
It's only really pleasant with my child; she was electively mute for the first several-several-several years of her life, and we developed an elaborate means of thinking back and forth across the car or room which defies explanation; we could decide on meals, choose something fun, and even tell jokes. A lot of it went away when she got older, but we can still do the jokes, and I am forbidden to look at her in church for that reason. One of the hardest things about the trip we just took is during the drive when I started really being in lots of pain, remarkably quickly, and was doing everything in my power not to let her know, she was not in the least deceived; and when she got so tense on that bad stretch of road in Alabama, I got a muscle spasm in my neck. Neither one of us can hide distress or pain from each other and we are reflexive liars about both.
A good case could be made for me just being a good pattern-reader, if I wasn't so myopic, really. My child's primary, outstanding "giftedness" is in pattern recognition ability according to the school psychologists, and I have color memory and distance memory and some other odd pattern abilities.
Every now and then something just hits me in the middle of the chest like a random negative energy particle and I get this horrible premonition. It goes all over me. It's rarely wrong as far as, something really pretty bad will happen in the next day once that worry bomb goes off. Sometimes I'm awake, sometimes I'm asleep, but they are usually about twelve to 24 hours ahead of the disaster. I just hate the fuck out of them because they are like someone yelling "look out!" at you when you are driving....hell, you are looking out, dammit, you are driving!
I got one yesterday afternoon on a day when nothing was out of the ordinary at all. I just realized that the new job hadn't called me back about the pre-employment physical, and I went cold all the way to my toenails, and my chest started hurting. I have enough money to live on until March, there wasn't a reason for the doom reaction, and I've been shaky ever since.
When the pets got me up this morning, one of them had disgraced themself with a very unhygenic act in the kitchen, and the refrigerator had died, again. Not really Friday the 13 type stuff except for the cost of replacing a fridge. I sucked up my courage and called the new boss, and he called me back four hours later with a contact number to go have a drug screen done next week. Drug screen, pssht. Piece of cake.
So it does look like I'm moving to the Gulf Coast, which is enough to dread, I guess. Maybe that was the premonition, not the dead fridge and the large pile of cat turds. How's the hurricane forecast for this season shaping up, anyway?

8 comments:

  1. Nothing out there right now - the last one fizzled out before it hit the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the doom was the cat misbehavior. I would have to sell my house if that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clorox on the stovetop and cleaning the handle of the iron skillet with salt and cooking it in the oven at 500 degrees for an hour was my cat disgrace remedy. I want to hold on to the house. Who shits on a skillet handle? Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it was just having some fun and got carried away....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doom thing sounds like a severe adrenal problem of some sort. Fight or flight gone nuts. Or is that hypothalamus? or some other thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrenals make your heart pound but they don't make your refrigerator break. I used to think it was thyroid plus rotten luck but my thyroid has been dead for decades. I rarely have the thing that I'm worrying about happen is the only good thing, it's usually something completely unrelated but a reliable disaster will follow one of those spells in less than a day. Has happened ever since I can remember. Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I will fb message you the truly horrifying Friday the 13th thing that happpened. Probably what the premonition was about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, how old was your refrigerator? 20- plus? That's not Friday the 13th bad luck, that's just the fate of old refrigerators. I get heart pounding spells that last hours, hair stands on end, but no identifiable events correlate with it. I start looking for hidden cameras around the office, get a whole paranoid thing going on.

    ReplyDelete