Saturday, April 2, 2011

Snake oil and woo

I'm pretty skeptical about all medicine and most herbals. I've tried just about everything in the literature for my arthritis; because of my sulfa allergy, I'm not allowed Celebrex. Vioxx worked for two weeks and stopped, about four times from different MDs. Plus it tends to make people's hearts stop and they don't quite know why, not a good quality to me. The docs have given me SSRIs, SNRIs, big huge Cox-2 inhibitors, Elavil, and about seven other things. The effects are, flat don't help, make my head fog worse, screw up my insides, and make me feel groggy and crippled simultaneously.
So a couple of weeks ago I decided once again to suspend disbelief because I was just hurting so freaking bad, with a wicked RSD flare that was starting to affect my guts again with the pain in my SI joint spreading to my belly. I plopped some money into Amazon for some 400mg Italian Sam-e and some cheapo Swanson Magnesium oil.
I got some relief, not like turning off a switch, but gradual. The mag oil is tricky though, if I don't rub it in very well, it starts burning like a motherfucker about five minutes after application. I was able to pilot my nused lawn tractor bought secondhand from a neighbor around the huge expanse of backyard, though, with minimal (five joints) pain consequences.
We will see if it keeps working. My legs still start the horrible pain screaming and purple coloration when I try to stand around or walk the whole distance of the Lowes.

2 comments:

  1. I wish Dr. Daigle could get hold of you on a weekly basis. I only pay $15 a visit, he's in the Blue Cross network.

    What about acupuncture? Or a gentle Chiro on your insurance network?

    My feet have been giving me hell - my "good" one has gone bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My acupuncturist helped with neck nerve pain a lot, the leg pain not so much. Chinese foot massage helps the most besides the pool, but it's costly. Of course, so is the Sam-e!

    ReplyDelete