Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hot in the old town

I had a close call with a sick refrigerator. Thank goodness for the Internets, I was able to look up the symptoms and the schematics; OoA #2 got the part locally, and fixed that devil up once I pointed it out from the schematic; I was crouched on the camp fridge, trying to be all Miss Spatial Ability. He installed it brilliantly and the thing purrs like a kitten. Score.
There was a tragic death in the household; the compressor on the central air unit started tripping the breaker with a loud bang. The tech came and pronounced its death. Then the race was on for his equipment guy to source me a freon unit because the recommended, green-type crunchy fine modern unit requires new coils, which is an ADDITIONAL three thousand dollars. He did find me the last one in town; OoA paid $1900 for his three-ton Trane unit six weeks ago, mine was a no-brand three-ton unit at $2300. Plus a new drip pan and float switch, and I'm magically out $2600 for the privilege of breathing.
Nothing like being unemployed to make your appliances collectively clutch their throats.

No comments:

Post a Comment