Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

A very odd one this year; the first without my child in 23 years, but she is happy to be in NYC with her grandmother, seeing Rockefeller Center all lit up for Christmas just like we always wanted to. I will make it there one year before she finishes grad school and we will do the sights, too. I let my fella choose today's menu and it was very odd indeed; he chose homemade chicken/spinach and meat-lovers pizzas and my fancy chocolate pie. So we were not nibbling miserably at nostalgic food without my child, I suspect. When he first selected the lineup, we thought I might have just one day off and he didn't want me to spend all my time off cooking the big meal and then have to go back Friday still tired, too. So I am thankful for that consideration as well. This time last year I was too sick to stand for more than a minute or so at a time, and somehow I got our meal on the table by sitting on the kitchen stool and waving the spoon feebly at my family. Then I couldn't eat any of it because of the nausea that dogged me for the next couple of months. So I am thankful to have found a medicine to stop the horribleness that cost me my job and nearly my house. I have an appointment Wednesday with the GI doc to try to talk him into giving me an open-ended Rx for it, since whenever I go 16 hours without a dose the famous poop and the atrocious belly pain and the fainting all come back. Which I am never thankful for.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't have my child at Thanksgiving either - she went to Houston to see Trevor's family. She's not coming back till Sunday. I only made 18 Thanksgivings with her.

    Everybody asked about her, and her 2nd cousin Meghan was there, aged 20, so she would have even had somebody there her age. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem, who told her she could go traipsing off like a married lady?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Trevor came with us last year at Thanksgiving, so she figured it was time to trade. She's already traipsed to Hawaii with him and his family, so Houston's not that much of a stretch.

    She made a mincemeat pie because Trevor's grandfather was known to like it - I was proud of her for cooking something to contribute.

    She called yesterday while out shopping, she's having a great time. She'll be back today.

    We had a wedding to go to Friday night, and a brunch yesterday. Ray had to go to Vermilionville for a short project, then we went recliner shopping. It was really nice not having her underfoot, actually. I missed her for about 6 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having to be dreadfully mature about the whole "my child is seeing New York at Thanksgiving without me" thing. Horrible, really. On the bright side, her father invited himself and his third wife and acted in a characteristic fashion so her predictable sputterings of outrage helped take the edge off. The first phone call which began, "MY FATHER IS AN IDIOT" actually made me bellow with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, New York should still be there. It's worth it not to be there at the same time as the father and the 3rd wife.

    ReplyDelete