Sunday, May 16, 2010

Holy Mother

So I managed to start off this weekend's college graduation festivities by slicing an enormous hole into my left hand. It was a very sharp can pull-top that I grazed my left thumb with while assembling specialty food for the stuck-poop kitty we were leaving in charge of a catsitter. I had opened the skin more than half an inch wide and nearly as deep. It needed about three stitches.
I glued it shut with some skin glue a rep had demo'ed to us earlier in the week. Pretty cool stuff; made all the blood stop rolling down my arm. The next day, driving through Texas, I saw it had flaked off and the wound was trying to reopen; glued it again. Did that about three times and now it looks like it's healing: after hauling huge amounts of daughter's belongings down three flights of stairs. OoA#2 did most of that hauling.
Her grandparents showed up late to the graduation, where saving seats was not allowed. So one of them sat with me and my SO. Who knows where the others went. Her father was wearing a polo shirt, and her grandmother had evidently left her hearing aids at home. During the procession, we could not figure out why we couldn't see her marching with her class; I spotted her friends but could not find her anywhere. But she turned up walking across the stage. Turns out she fainted in the assembly line and was revived by campus security and then sneaked into her seat so she wouldn't faint again waiting until her turn to process, since she was fifteenth to last of  about 500 graduates. Damn alphabetical order. Then the grandparents wanted to take three pictures and leave instead of coming to lunch. Her grandfather, who had said he would use his big old huge auto to help her move, wanted to change and leave town and pay for her couch and boxes to be shipped home. As if we could have gotten them somewhere to ship them out; plus the nonsense of paying more for shipping than the worth of the items. He did deign to come back that afternoon and get them in a rush and set off for home.
And her grandmother made a huge point of giving her a necklace with a "family" diamond in it. She had told her it was pear-shaped, and it was round; no big deal, very pretty. But on the ride home, it was apparent in bright light that the diamond has a flaw in its center so large it appears cracked.
Outlaws. Texas is full of them.

5 comments:

  1. What is that fainting shit all about? At least y'all got home OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her grandmother says she is a fainter too. Child had not eaten in about a day and a half, and had taken her antibiotic for a sinus infection on an empty, queasy stomach. Plus standing in line, last of about five hundred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Next time, invite me and my mini-van with the seats that fold into the floor. Lots of cargo space. No diamonds, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, you are on for Rensselear. You like driving to NY, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love road trips. When's the date? I might have to go to Charlotte, NC for a conference about Aug 14-16 approx. I'm only going if the 911 budget pays my way - my travel budget won't handle it.

    ReplyDelete