Friday, March 19, 2010

Volunteers Welcome

As a rule, I go to the garden center in the fall, get tulip bulbs, and commandeer my neighbor's unused crisper in his fridge to chill them in. I like to celebrate New Year's Day by going out and planting them, generally in horrible weather. Last year my feet were crippled up from surgery so I made OoA#2 do it. This year I didn't even get around to buying the bulbs. Tulips do not generally return in the South, the heat and rain rot the bulbs. This little guy decided to make a comeback despite the odds. He is all pink cuteness in an otherwise straggly bed; there are quite a few other tulip leaves but his bloom is the showoff so far. Spring is awesome.

8 comments:

  1. Tulips need chilling hours to come up - they had more this year than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This little guy is easily two years old, maybe older. He is a trouper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How strange--I just stumbled upon your blog from the Dooce website. My mother-in-law does the CPAP thing and my best friend from childhood had RSD. Strange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've been making unexpected appearances here as well. I now forgive the universe for this year's snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @seeking and american...hi to both! Seeking, did your friend improve?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is considered "cured." She traveled to Germany to undergo the ketamine coma therapy and it worked. She now has a three year old daughter and a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so inspirational! I dream about ketamine coma treatment sometimes....

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you'd like, I could put her in touch with you. ???

    ReplyDelete