Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ow ow ow ow ow

I never really know when something else is going to come loose or overtighten and it takes me a while to figure out what is wrong when it happens. Nowadays the thing is this horrible jaw and neck pain, muscle spasms in the back of my neck right under my skull that wrap around to my jaw. It has something to do with the TMJ that I've had for decades; my teeth slide around randomly and different configurations trigger spasms. I just got a fine big healthcare spending account starting January and am planning to use it on braces and new, smaller front crowns to see if that might help. This neck pain started the first day of the new job, sitting in the room reading the policy book and my blackberry in boredom, so it's been about two months now.  Not being able to swim this week with the pool closing for Christmas seemed to bring the RSD roaring back in my right leg, and I didn't sleep Christmas Eve with the hot bear-trap sensation combined with the muscle spasms. I actually got out of bed super early and made a hot bath, and wrapped Epsom Salts in a wet cloth to put on my neck, which helped for a while. So far in the past couple of days, I have taken Aleve, advil, ibuprofen, Exedrin, Xanaflex, magnesium, coffee, pomegranate tea, ginger, Barefoot pinot grigio, and Absolut Rasberi for pain. I am holding out on the Neurontin and Lyrica but it could happen.  Daughter forgot to go to CVS on Christmas Eve for migraine meds and woke up with one yesterday, and we had to blow off our traditional Christmas night chick flick outing. Neither one of us could justify trying to sit up and look at a screen for two hours when we couldn't get our heads to stop hurting for more than ten minutes in a row.
Fella came through for Christmas like a champ; for the second Christmas in a row, I was having to direct as much as cook and he stayed in the tiny kitchen and cleaned everything so we had a place to put things. We had a nice dinner even though the fresh turkey turned out to be a fresh turkey breast and I only like dark meat; the hazards of shopping when one is very very tired from work and the store is picked over but empty of other shoppers. I had thought it was a little funny looking in the package. Should have shown more curiosity.
We ended up with turkey breast and gravy, stuffing, coca-cola salad, homemade cranberry relish with my sister's orange in it, cranberry jelly in a can with stripes that he likes, sweet potatoes with my sister's orange in them, my child's beloved green bean casserole, rolls, chocolate pie, cherry pie, pecan tassies, and hello dollies. Festive. Southern. Excessive.
One pool out of the three in town is supposed to be open today for a short time and I am going to go try to swim and walk in it and see if my neck and leg will give me a break so I can enjoy the rest of my holiday without excessive drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment