Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Deep Exhale of Breath

Wow. What a year this has been. A year ago next week I had a CT scan that literally brought me to my knees. I'd been having lots of problems with colitis that was making my hair fall out, giving me arthritis and nerve pain plus muscle spasms, nevermind going to the toilet over 10 times a day. The CT contrast made this horrible burning sensation that basically didn't go away until last week.  A few days after the CT I started having trouble with nausea and fainting, and four days after that I was unable to eat more than once a day and fainting into my patient's beds with the pain. Good thing they were comatose, mostly. Going to the hospital made things worse, and I ended up at home on disability; you know the rest.
So today I took my second board certification test from the online course I took while I was sick. The one I was taking for six weeks before I got my short-term memory back part of the way. I passed it, so now I am officially Loosey, Fixer of Whut-all Needs Fixin.
Beats Empress of Famous Poop all to hell.
I got a call from my new boss, the nice lady who offered me the crummy job I desperately snatched up. She is trying to get me benefits.
My guts aren't fixed with the new medicines, but they don't make me run six times a day anymore and they fuckin finally stopped hurting. Finally made the muscle spasms stop. The arthritis and nerve pain in my feet is still pretty bad but I'll take it for a trade off; maybe I can find places to sit all around the hospital while I'm working. I'm so used to pain level 7 or 8 out of 10 I figure five to seven is doable. The head fog that started hitting me 18 months ago when the colitis started is going away now; I can complete a spoken sentence without always, always, always having to stop and try to think of the word.  Studying was no big deal, again, finally.
After I passed my test I went to buy pants and socks for this street-clothes job; on further reflection, I decided to go to the gas station and celebrate the hat trick of job, certification, and gut relief by buying two Powerball tickets.
It could happen.
But I'm still setting my alarm to go to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment