Thursday, October 14, 2010

Revenge of the autoimmune disorder

So, I was super happy-slappy with the absence of gut pain. We went on a long walkabout Sunday; I bought clothes for the new job at a good sale, and we spent a looong time at the Lowe's picking out things for OaA#2 to use when redoing the bathroom. My legs started hurting pretty quickly in the Lowe's and I was finding places to sit by the time we got out of there. Monday I woke up with a huge muscle spasm from butt to toes on my right side, and arthritis flares in my back and fingers and toes. The usual treatments and pills did not budge them. I went for a Chinese massage yesterday and have bruises from that today. She presses in a spot until the pain subsides and there were a couple she couldn't stop. I had let my antibiotic run out and it took a day to get the refill; I visited the doc who is greatly dubious at taking me off disability with only a three-day remission. I pointed out I'd be homeless after Christmas if I didn't start working, and she sighed and agreed. She wants me to take the antibiotics for a solid month and see if the colitis will give up. The back-pain and arthritis mean it's still hanging around, trying to wreak sneaky mayhem. I am currently covered in patches and tape, with my right leg thrumming painfully, and think we will pill up for a while.
My friend's next-door neighbor has been coming over to visit frequently. She had an ileostomy done for severe colitis years ago. She is now showing a weeping rash on her forearms that is a rare but not unheard of sequel of ulcerative colitis; so she has a belly bag, no colon, and it's still trying to get her. Autoimmune crap is the meanest.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have "pulled a Dallie". I did that when I went shopping for the Belongings Containment Device for my dining room. I hit Target, World Market, Sears, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Sam's, and finally found what I wanted at Office Depot.

    I was worn out after Home Depot, rested legs in the car while driving to Sam's and Wal-Mart. Went to Super-1, but legs hurt too much to do the shopping, didn't get out of the car. Decided to go to Office Depot, rested legs while driving there. Rested legs again driving the BCD home, sallied forth from there to Super-1.

    I don't even have arthritis and I was worn out and sore for a week. Those cement floors are killers. I think we're both going to have to learn to pace ourselves, minimize the cement floor walking time.

    ReplyDelete