Thursday, October 7, 2010

Medicine that helps: What a concept

So it's been a tough two years. I got foot surgery that was supposed to take the horrible foot pain away by replacing the gnawed and ruined joints with clean, smooth, comfortable titanium. Instead, I got C-Diff, an atrocious form of diarrhea, from the antibiotics that are necessary when one has bone surgery, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy from having a nerve tumor removed at the same time. My feet hurt worse from the crazy painful muscle spasms and constant state of purple-black vein dysfunction, and my leg muscles actually started to waste away. Six months later, I got diarrhea after a festival meal, and things got a lot worse, with a persistent headfog and belly pain to go with the muscle spasms. I ended up in the hospital, and when my sister came to see about me, she was horrified; not only had one of my cats peed up the whole house while I was gone, I looked and acted like a dying person. I couldn't stop fainting, and couldn't eat because of the nausea and belly pain, and my normally verbose self would start a sentence and be unable to finish it; no memory, no strength. This went on for months and I lost my job. I didn't really care except for being concerned about being homeless; it wasn't like I could do the job anyway, I couldn't leave the bathroom.
The meds the GI doc got me made things much worse.
I figured out a way to replace the lost electrolytes and have lived on V-8, Pedialyte, and soda crackers for the last eight months. That helped the fainting. I never got used to or over the belly pain and muscle spasms, and I have to say, living at pain level 7 out of 10 does not improve one as a person.
I asked my family practice doc who has been great, although bewildered and frustrated for me, through all this, for some antibiotics that are not absorbed, they work only in the gut, that I found out about online. By chasing the footnotes in a wacky new age doc article in the Huffington Post of all places. I printed the original study and showed it to her and she happily wrote for the pills.
Thirty bucks for them, thirty bucks for the zinc and probiotics the study put with them, and a week later: the muscle spasms are gone, and the belly pain is only on the left side and down to about a 3. The Famous Poop my GI doc told so many hundreds of people about? Three times a day, not really diarrhea anymore.
I feel like Rip Van Winkle.
While I was sick, I left my life and it left me. I have three friends left, do not know the rector at my church, and the house looks like an old person lives here.
But today I feel like riding my bike. After I study for my final certification test, I may do just that. Thinking about that is like imagining myself as an astronaut. But a tough-ass, mean old lady astronaut.
Small-intestine bacterial overgrowth. That's what they called it, SIBO. Fucker. Thief. Die, you mean little one-celled bastards. I have things I need to do.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Loosey. That's such great news! Your determination to find the answer yourself really paid off. It must be so exciting to have your life back! :) Very happy for you! Enjoy buzzing around on your two-wheeled space shuttle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind in my hair, bugs in my teeth. Tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gotten a funny effect from my bicycle rides. My seat area becomes completely numb, which I don't notice till I get off the bike and circulation resumes. Makes me walk awfully funny for a few minutes. I have tried fidgeting on the seat, still numb by the time I get home. I need to get one of those gel seat covers, see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't fidget; stand on the pedals a little and get the pressure off your sciatic and pudendal nerves. Our sit-bones spread out when we had kids and it's hard to get them to sit on the seat to protect the nerves. Your butt muscles will get harder and start protecting them.

    ReplyDelete