Thursday, January 21, 2010

Paper White Persistence

So we had this spell of way-ass cold frozen beyond Yankee foolishness weather. It was completely uncalled for, with lows in the 'teens night after night and water mains breaking all over town. I have this patch of paperwhites way out back that I saved from a demolition site a bazillion years ago and I give them to people who want them. They bloom early because they are in a spot which is usually warm by the ditch. I thought they would be mulch after coming up and getting the hell frozen out of them like that. All the leaves laid down flat like they were done for the year, better luck next year. But a lot of the stems that got flattened by the frost went ahead and bloomed anyway. Their scent is too strong to bring them in the house but they get extra points for perseverance. I just sniffed a few without picking them, maybe I will go and deadhead them when they have bloomed out. The poor bees could use a few pollen sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment