Saturday, January 23, 2010

Talking Dog

Object of Affection #2 is a cat-person who is constantly astounded by the amount of language the old lady dog can process. On days when her ears ring she has a lot of trouble but days like today are hilarious and add to my reputation as the eccentric on the block.
 I heard the yowl of a catfight and went to the door thinking I would need to rescue my timid calico from the fierce one next door. The dog came out with me to see what was up. There was a feral tom under the neighbor's truck who had engaged the neighbor's calico, who had fled under another car. The tom yielded to my yelling and scampered for the ditch. Old lady dog had a flash of her old cat herding days and took off after him, barking fiercely until he crossed the gasline. She was trotting back to the house, tail up, triumphant, when the feral tom advanced back over the gasline. I told her, "Go back over there and tell that cat what you really think of him." She turned, took off at a run, and barked him all the way across the ditch and into the bushes behind the apartments beyond.  There was some serious prissing of dog tail after that. Of course she got a dog treat for world's smartest bad cat eliminating dog.  I told OoA#2 and he scoffed a little, then asked her if she had chased a strange cat. "Harf!" was the happy reply. He just shook his head.
 I never have told him about the time she told me she thought she may have mistakenly eaten some astronaut.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, I know you don't think much of Tippy - but Ray, Trevor, Stephanie, and I were at the dinner table Friday - we had grilled pork chops. Steph didn't want all of hers, and was offering it to others. Nobody was taking her up on it, but Tippy came running in from his bed in the living room and stood on his hind legs next to her chair, perking up his ears and offering to take her pork chop. I think Ray took her leftovers after that. Poor Tip didn't get any that time.

    Then, yesterday, when it was warm, Tippy stood on his hind legs to look into the door and asked to be let in. Ray asked him through the door if he was cold, and Tip started a total body shiver that didn't stop till we let him in. I think it was cooler inside the house than outside at the time. He said "Fargh" and sneezed several times after he was let in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Tip. Failed in love and pork. At least he can fake Ray out. You know that dog does not look like a dog, he looks like that thing in Ice Age. At least old lady dog thinks so, that's why she told him mind his own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the girl dogs tell him to mind his own business. The new vet close to my house is less expensive than my old vet - he fixed Jake, gave him a rabies shot and an overnight stay for $109. Tip's pretty close to losing his packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, he does too look like a dog. A terrier dog. He's probably part rat terrier and part Jack Russell and part who knows what. He doesn't do that panting thing except when girl dogs are around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I borrow her for a couple of days. There's this certain Hellcat that needs a comeuppance. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor old lady dog. She would not give the Hellcat a second glance unless Hellcat beat up one of her cats. Some Shepherd dog code of honor or something.

    ReplyDelete